Post Adoption Support Services offers an annual parent conference each spring that is FREE for adoptive parents in our service area. Join us for a series of four separate, virtual conversations in January. The webinars will be led by adoption-informed professionals and parents with real world expertise, hard-earned wisdom, and shared experiences. *Note all recordings of webinars listed below will be available until Friday, February 17th 2023
- Jan 18, 7:00 – 8:30pm –Five Ways Race Hurts Children and 4380 Opportunities for Healing: Talk, Touch & Listen While Combing Hair with Dr. Marva Lewis
- Description – In 2021 the American Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse identified the impact of racism on young children as a form of psychological maltreatment and child abuse. This talk will provide parents and caregivers from diverse racial and cultural groups with an understanding of five ways racism and racial disparities impact young children’s socioemotional development. One form of within-group discrimination is colorism – the acceptance and rejection of children based on negative stereotypes of light or dark skin tone and hair type. Participants will be introduced to creative ways to support meaningful connections with their children. The findings from research on the everyday routine of combing hair present an opportunity for connection. The consistent practice of the ‘call and response’ synchrony of parent-child interaction during hair combing leads to secure-base partnerships. This daily practice provides an opportunity for parents and caregivers to nurture attachment, be connected to their culture, and build community with parent-peers.
- Jan 23, 8:00 – 9:30pm – Authentic Parenting: How to Show Up Fully For You While Being Present for Your Children with Latanya DuBois, MPA
- Description – Being a parent has many challenges and rewards. As we navigate the more recent world of technology, school safety, inflation, social media and the like we are oftentimes overwhelmed, tired, frustrated and empty. But somehow, much like a superhero, we manage to still show up and save the day (by juggling many hats) to be available for and address our children’s needs. The question is how long do we think we can continue to do this? What do we need to be well so we can be the best version of ourselves? This workshop will explore the various ways parents can identify their trigger points (invisible suitcase), create a wellness practice and find support by bonding with other like minded parents to secure a sense of self care. The goal: walk out of the room feeling heard, seen and safe, knowing that we are/will be able to be an Authentic Parent. I can’t wait to share space with you.
- Watch the recording here: https://duke.zoom.us/rec/share/XtlQ_0FQ6FV6WSBWpmZ3Yntz3S1aMMzl1u2DQG23YlXXA_968Ez3lC6fpRUPEyKI.a67GFagxWTt5oCNz
- Jan 25, 6:00 – 7:30pm – Trauma Responsive Caregiving with Kate Murray, PhD and Ginelle Hines, MA LCMHC
- Description – Many children who’ve been adopted have been through trauma and bring those experiences with them into their relationships. How can parents help them unpack these experiences and heal from trauma? This session will explore four steps of trauma-responsive parenting, as well as practical strategies and how to deal with stuff that gets in the way. If you’ve been to our previous trauma–informed parenting trainings, you’ll see some familiar concepts (e.g., the invisible suitcase), but there will be new material we are really excited to share!
- Watch the recording here: https://duke.zoom.us/rec/share/YK776qjG2fGwLL7ivPy06wTmg2p11eYkxoop2nPnnJKh36OtEZvkEtMjQo4ImJ9P.3BIWIsDn0tvhIDCr
- Jan 31, 7:30 – 9:00pm – From Expectations to Experience with Mary Kate Humphrey and Felicia Gibson, PhD
- Description – As an adoptive parent, your perspectives and expectations are always evolving as are your child’s needs. In this interactive workshop you will have the opportunity to explore aspects of your identity as an adoptive parent and reflect on your journey so far. We will discuss successes, struggles, and unmet expectations related to your adoption story. We will also discuss tools to help you feel supported as you parent children with various developmental needs. Come for a lively discussion and hear from other adoptive parents about some of the challenges and commonalities unique to adoptive and neurodiverse families.
- Watch the recording here: https://duke.zoom.us/rec/share/4rMdMnfynNlv2UMpGGoC791zxrMs4jX3PODkNyZ4N0dksdMXFMUTN0yf2gzq_nGb.LIzv7W7p-5Rf_4BO
All adoptive parents and professionals are welcome! Parents will receive a $10 Amazon gift card for each webinar they register for and attend. Space is limited, so register today!